Lifespan: 12-15 years
Breed traits: Loving, adventurous, sociable
Health risk: Average
Did you know?
- As a scent hound originating in England in the 1300s, the Beagle’s main purpose was to trail rabbits.
- The name beagle comes from the old French meaning “open throat” referring to their bay or howl.
- They are considered to be one of the most amiable of the hounds.
- They require companionship, human and canine alike, and are enthusiastic about being outdoors and exploring.
- With regular exercise, they can be a calm house pet that is excellent and gentle with children.
Common health concerns for Beagles
- Eye conditions including Glaucoma, Cherry Eye and Central Progressive Retinal Atrophy.
- Epilepsy, which causes seizures.
- Hip Dysplasia, which is treated with surgery of either total hip replacement for one or both hips, or reconstruction surgery for the joint.
- Patellar Luxation, which occurs when the kneecap moves around and can cause lameness.
- Invertebral Disc Disease, which leads to back and neck pain and potentially paralysis and loss of bladder control.
Information supplied by Bow Wow Pet Insurance bowwowinsurance.com.au« Back to blog